(Cases with anesthesia) – A Registered Nurse will call prior to your scheduled surgery day to go over any other instructions and to answer any questions you may have.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight before your surgery
- No gum, water, hard candy
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages or smoke cigarettes (this includes smokeless tobacco) 24 hours before surgery.
- You will be instructed by a nurse whether or not to take any medications the day of surgery
- Notify GESC staff of any allergies/reactions you may have
- Please bathe/shower the morning of your surgery. This will minimize the chance of infection.
- You may brush your teeth and use mouthwash.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing on the day of surgery
- Do not wear contact lenses. Should you need reading glasses to read or sign documents, please bring them.
- Refrain from smoking or chewing tobacco before your surgery.
- Arrive at the Greater Erie Surgery Center at the specified time. Allow adequate time for travel. If you arrive late, it will cause delays in the surgery schedule for yourself and others.
- Bring the following items to the Greater Erie Surgery Center
- Driver’s License
- Health Insurance Card(s)
- List of current medications
- X-rays or MRI tests on CD(s)
- To ensure the safety, comfort and privacy of our patients, please limit visitors to two. If possible, make arrangements to leave small children at home.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to accompany you to the Surgery Center, receive discharge instructions, drive you home, and stay with you until the morning following your surgery. For your own safety and protection, you will not be allowed to drive home. Taking a taxi or public transportation home by yourself will not be allowed. You must have someone accompany you. The only exception to this is for patients having a local anesthetic only (numbing medicine).
Do Not Wear the following items:
- Make-up/lotion/cologne/nail polish
- Jewelry/body piercings **ALL jewelry MUST be removed prior to entering Operating Room**
Do Not bring valuables with you the day of surgery, Greater Erie Surgery Center is not responsible for lost or stolen personal items.
Please contact the Greater Erie Surgery Center (814-790-5636) prior to your scheduled appointment if:
- You experience any changes in your health between your most recent visit to your physician and the date of your procedure, even minor ones such as temperature, cough, or cold.
- You suspect you are pregnant. Anesthesia, medication and use of radiology equipment may be harmful to the developing fetus.
- You have a latex allergy.